Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Natural World


This little critter was taking a snooze on the lawn yesterday. It couldn't have been more than a day or two old, and it probably was waiting for Mama to come and retrieve it. Well, as I approached it let out a yelp that was pretty loud for such a small package, got to its feet and tottered off toward the woods in back of the crib.

I've always been an admirer of the natural world, and I once spent a happy hour of Douglas paid time lying on my back on a baggage cart watching four or five hawks ride the thermals above Long Beach airport.

The object lesson of course, is that we share this planet with a lot of other beings of the natural world, some of whom do not have the same orientation as we humans do. That doesn't make us better, and the fact that we think we're better or different is, in my opinion, a mistake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home