Thursday, May 11, 2006

AOL: Down the Tube?

It was widely reported Tuesday that AOL-you know, those people who seem to have a never ending supply of free CDs, spam, and access to your credit card....where was I? Oh yes. Now I remember.

AOL, it seems, has announced that they're doing such a great job in the customer service department that they don't need all those pesky employees-1,300 of them in fact. The Jacksonville, Florida call center is to be shut down and layoffs are to take place at Ogden and Tucson.

And all this time I thought the problem with AOL was the shitty service, the spam, the crummy browser, the popups, and the way it took an act of Congress to get them out of your credit card or bank account once you signed up for that 'free' service. So what about the numbers?

AOL's membership base in 2002 was 26.7 million and it is now 18.6 million. That's about a thirty per cent decline. AOL also says that the phone calls requesting service have declined by fifty per cent in the same period.

Could it be that the calls for help are declining in the same way that the cries for help declined from the Titanic survivors in the water as they expired from neglect and hypothermia? An apt analogy, I think. And unlike Titanic, no great loss.

2 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't use AOL if my life depended on it. I had enough problems with my pc after I uninstalled that crap.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Robert Luedeman semi retired attorney and amp mechanic said...

Absolutely correct. What's worse than their crappy browser and spam is the way that they get their hooks into your credit card or bank account and can't be removed without high explosives. I bit on the free deal twice, once in 1995 and once in 2003 and it was the same crap both times. I had to threaten them with a lawsuit to get out of the account and give me my money back

 

Post a Comment

<< Home