Monday, April 10, 2006

From the "Things You Didn't Want To Hear" Department

I unaccountable forgot to add this interesting story to the mix when it first crossed my desk.

It was reported on March 18 in Ireland On-line that a motorcyclist had his throat slit while riding through a bazaar in Rawalpindi. The instrument of Nauman Nazir's untimely demise was a kite string, which Pakistanis often coat with ground glass for kite fighting. Nazir was transported to a hospital but he bled to death.

Kite strings, it seems, are dangerous, and at least ten people have been killed in the three weeks prior to the article ahead of the annual kite flying festival-which was banned but which also met with widspread civil disobedience and large numbers of arrests.

I'm not sure what this story suggests, although one of my friends, Walt Grebis, told me about riding a motorcycle down the street in one of the less tasty areas of New Brunswick. Some kids on the porch with a fishing pole and a big bass plug cast it across his path. he reached forward and lifted the line over his head before anything worse happened.

Maybe it's an argument for wearing leathers with a tall collar. I dunno.

2 Comments:

At 5:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

he was my cousin and real brother of my wife, and this story is true.
Jawad

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Robert Luedeman semi retired attorney and amp mechanic said...

My sympathies go out to you and your family, sir. It is an awful thing to contemplate how cheaply life is valued by the people who take it, no matter what their rationale is, stated or otherwise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home